Monday, April 12, 2010

A weekend of photography!

Sometimes I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day, but at the end of the day I usually feel like I accomplished so much that its worthwhile.

On Friday I went out to New Heights Farm, the farm that the Elon Equestrian Team used to ride out of, and I was able to photograph my friend Mollie and her adorable gelding Chance.  The weather was beautiful, and we were able to take advantage of the huge field right next to the farm.  Mollie and I cut the shoot a little bit short so that we could both make it home in time to get ready for the Shwayze and Third Eye Blind concert at Elon.  Even though they are about 45 years old now, they still performed well!


On Saturday I headed out to Grayson's to hang out with the yellow pony for a bit, and we spent the time just hanging out in the roundpen together.  Some of that natural horsemanship stuff says that you should try to regularly "spend undemanding time with your horse".  Thats what we did.  Sarah cleaned out her trailer and I sat in the roundpen while the pony just stared at me and chewed on my sneakers.  She has so much personality that you can't help but laugh when you are around her.  She is finally shedding out, and this picture is the last of her white coat.  What she is shedding into will hopefully be a beautiful golden palomino.  I can at least dream right?

Later that day I headed out to Asheboro for a shoot at Rocky Knoll Farm, and we had so much fun!  I photographed a 13 year old named Emma and her gelding Samson, and a woman named Taryn with her mare Roxie.  We explored the fields across from the farm and what fun that was!  From the old cow barn to the beautiful mysticism of the creek near the lake, we found every beautiful place on the property to take these beautiful horses.  Here are some of my favorites from that shoot!



This morning I rode the pony, and boy she was not having it!  I couldn't convince her that it was okay to be calm and quiet, so off we went for a nice little gallop!  In Grayson's words, "it looked like the freakin' pony express out there!"  And so it did, but after the gallop and a few minutes of walking she finally relaxed into her work.  I have found though that she has a tendency to be hot hot hot if I ask her for the canter, but if I trot her into a cross rail and then let her canter out, her canter is quiet as can be!  I guess thats just another thing to add to the list to work on.  Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment