Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What can you do, life is addicting

Even on the days that aren't particularly eventful I still find that I often leave Proniño at the end of each day feeling fulfilled.  Since I'm only here for three and a half weeks the idea of taking days off hasn't really occurred to me, so its been twelve straight days working so far, with only twelve more to enjoy here.  I really can't believe how quickly the time has flown by, and I'm so glad I still have more than a week left.  I feel like there are so many things that I want to do but not enough time.  

Tomorrow I'm going up to la montaña again to run another photography workshop and hopefully also have a chance to interview a few of the kids, and maybe even one of the professors.  I keep forgetting that at some point I'm going to have to write a paper about Honduras and this experience, but I've been putting it off because it hasn't felt like something I'm going to have trouble with it'll just be a matter of sitting down and actually doing it.  

Today I went with Kevin to take my friend Jenn to the airport midday after my meeting with the director and the donor from the Netherlands.  It was nice to be able to take a midday break and just hang out since I haven't really taken many breaks.  We went to the airport and then into the city to look at cars.  Kevin sold his truck to the foundation and needs to buy another car to replace it.  We also bought a couch while we were there since his new house is completely unfurnished.  

The afternoon was pretty relaxed once I got back to Proniño, and I just spent time talking to the kids.  I have already interviewed most of the kids that I can interview at Las Flores, so I have been focusing on getting a lot of B Roll and more pictures.  At the end of the day on our way leaving the foundation we decided to go pick the boys up from school before getting dropped off.  It was so much fun to see the boys in a school environment.  Its so funny because the Proniño boys are clearly the coolest most popular guys in school and all the girls love them.  I think it embarrassed them a little bit that a bunch of white girls picked them up from school, but I think they secretly loved it.  We even caught the little guys saying bye to their girlfriends as they walked home.   I'm pretty sure we plan on doing it everyday from now on.  And I can't wait. 


The boy in this video is young, and has as sad and interesting of a story as any of the boys in the program, but one of the things that he loves most is Justin Bieber.  Somehow he has learned the entire song in English despite the fact that he doesn't speak English at all.  On Saturday Wilson will be performing in the local mall as a representative of Proniño, and everyone is so proud of him!

Some of my (future) students

No comments:

Post a Comment