Saturday, January 9, 2010

Inspiration is everywhere

Today I read something from the artist I met today.  The blog pretty much felt like a quote that embodied my life, and somehow I felt like I couldn't help but repeat it.  Andre, a Lithuanian immigrant who has been living in London for three years, spoke to us today as part of our photography/anthropology project.  We walked into Traffic People not thinking anything would really come of our efforts to meet someone from outside of London, but instead this 21 year old's blog (All the Cool) said this: "We all loose our way in life some times. I feel like I am floating through time and space with no purpose, when I look at these pictures from the summer I think that not having a purpose can lead to the most memorable moments. I know I will find my path in life."  


And when I read that I felt like I was reading a concise text of my own life.  I ramble each day about my struggles to figure shit out, when really this is the shit.  This is life.  Why don't I just try to live it to figure it out.  In some cases its similar, and in others not.

Andre's simplicity and Richard Dawtkin's straightforward consideration of what yesterday represented makes me want to figure my shit out while sitting at a tram station or whatever, and then when I know what I want to do with my life I can type a few sentences.

But the truth is I don't know what to do with my life.  I know what I can share within a few different artists and communities and whatever.  I know how to share the people who have simply inspired me.  That is not what this project is about though.  Despite the simplistic intelligent realizations of this man as a 21 year old here, without him, we would not be able to explore the young fashion focused culture dominating Brick Lane.  Monday I'm hoping Caitlin and I will be able to juxtapose those experiences of the trendy posh Brick Lane, with the experience of a woman's discussion groups outlining the issues facing Bengali and Pakistani women in Brick Lane today.

After meeting the artists I met today (two amazing artists from the area we are studying, Andre and Raf, photographer and grafitti artist, (makes studying feel lame, and really makes me want to really get to know them for who they really are, without feeling like I'm only there for a project), I feel like I have a better grip on Brick Lane as a whole, which is the goal of our project.  I'll post the link to my project when it's finished.  Hopefully both men (and if we're lucky, their friends) will give us the opportunity to understand them and their art in the coming weeks as I try to understand both Brick Lane and the citizens who occupy the area, hoping to gain insight from the immigration that has thus far shaped the area.

Here I am though, still rambling for days or weeks, or whatever you want to call it, and still I haven't figured out how to express all this in two or three lines.  I guess learning to write is a process.

No comments:

Post a Comment